Monday, May 25, 2015

Aperture and Shutter Speed and Flashes, Oh My!

Last fall, I tried to take this great Intro to Digital Photography class because

a) I LOVE photography and

b) It filled my Art General Education requirement.

Well the equipment for such a class is not cheap and I had no way to afford any of it (hello, poor college student!) so I dropped the class and prayed I could find a way to get the equipment. My prayers were answered when I received the opportunity to submit a proposal for a $2,000 grant to do a Creative Arts project and present it at an Expo next Spring. For my project I'm going to take the class this fall and apply my skills to put together a presentation for the Expo.


I got my shiny new Canon Rebel T5i with and 18-55mm IS STM kit lens and a 55-250mm IS STM lens just in time for my little sister's graduation this weekend! Of course I had to go out and play with it before then and haven't put it down since I got the battery charged. The 55-250mm lens is my favorite of the two but I took some sweet shots with it as you can see here.


My dad was teasing me asking if I was shooting in Auto. My boyfriend, Garrett's mom is also an avid photographer and had advised me to shoot primarily in aperture priority, so that's what I've been using. But all last week I watched camera videos on YouTube and have been playing with shutter speed like a 5-year-old (and I take the thing everywhere - my parents laugh at me).

(There's a bunny in this picture, I promise.)

I've been really excited to learn how to take awesome pictures and I feel like a total professional with my (pretend) fancy equipment. Sorry in advanced if you guys get a ton of photography postings (I'm totally geeking out!!!!) I'm really excited to share my journey with you all and (hopefully!) share some really great photos!

What kind of camera do you have? What kinds of pictures do you like to take?

As always thanks for reading!
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment